Top five nail looks for fall
Published: Monday, October 14, 2013
Updated: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 20:10
- Dark hues. The most popular and simple nail look for fall is a dark hue that will match other fall colors. Dark blues, purples, greens and oxbloods are all classic colors but also the trendiest at the moment. Chanel manicurist Ashlie Johnson suggests using darker colors on nails that are "just past the fingertip and filed to more of an almond or oval shape. This will help elongate your fingers." Try Essie’s After School Boy Blazer, $8 at Nordstrom and Marc Jacobs Beauty Enamored High-Shine Nail Lacquer in Jezebel, $18 at Sephora.
- Matte. Love them or hate them, matte manicures are really in right now. To get the perfect matte look without going to the salon, use either JINsoon Matte Maker Quick Dry Matte Topcoat, $18 at jinsoon.com, or Dolce & Gabbana Matte Nail Coat, $24 at saks.com.
- Neutrals. Gray is fall’s version of a neutral nail color. Light grays are nice contrast to really dark fall colors, and go with every outfit. Try Nars Nail Polish in Galathée, $19 at narscosmetics.com, and Ciaté Paint Pot in Tear Drop, $15 at sephora.com.
- Metallic. Metallic nails add a little bit of flash to a look without going over the top. Most of the time metallic nails are silver, gold, or bronze.This fall metallics are more colorful and holographic. Try Chanel Limited Edition Le Vernis Nail Colour in Alchimie, $27 at Nordstrom and Essie’s For the Twill of It, $8 at Nordstrom.
- Electric Colors. This look may seem out of place for fall, but it’s all over the runways. Manicurist Deborah Lippmann says that bright nails add “the perfect pick-me-up” to a fall wardrobe. Try Butter London Nail Lacquer in Silly Billy, $15 at butterlondon.com or Deborah Lippmann Punk Rock Nail Lacquer in I Wanna Be Sedated, $19 at deborahlippmann.com.