NY Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter announces retirement
Published: Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Updated: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 18:02
Yankees Captain Derek Jeter announced through Facebook Wednesday that 2014 will be the last year he will be playing professional baseball.
Jeter posted a letter to fans. Casey Close, Jeter’s long-time agent, confirmed in an e-mail to the Daily News that the post did indeed come from Jeter.
“Last year was a tough one for me,” Jeter wrote as part of the post. “As I suffered through a bunch of injuries, I realized that some of the things that always came easily to me and were always fun had started to become a struggle. The one thing I always said to myself was that when baseball started to feel more like a job, it would be time to move forward," according to the New York Daily News.
Jeter has been the Yankee’s starting shortstop since 1996; he will be turning 40 in June.
"So really it was months ago when I realized that this season would likely be my last," Jeter wrote. "As I came to this conclusion and shared it with my friends and family, they all told me to hold off saying anything until I was absolutely 100% sure,” according to USA Today.
He enters his final season with 3,316 hits, 10th on the all-time list. He was the 1996 American League Rookie of the Year, a season in which the Yankees won the first of five World Series championships with him as their shortstop.