Wheelchair user to appear in Diesel spring ad campaign
The fashion label Diesel is making a statement with its new spring ad campaign, We Are Connected. Diesel had fashion editor and blogger Jillian Mercado model for this campaign. Mercado has been a wheelchair user since she was 12 due to spastic muscular dystrophy.
Mercado said on the Today Show:
Diesel is a company where everyone can wear it. You don’t have to look like a model to wear it. And I feel like these photos just show that. Every photo that they release, someone can relate to it. And that’s rare in the fashion industry, to be able to relate and say, ‘You know that’s me in that photo, through that person.’
In an industry consumed with criticism and everything being based on appearance, this campaign makes a bold statement.
Diesel's self-styled brand reboot features an arresting array of real-life artists and creatives who "reject the status quo" and aim to "change points of view through imagery." They include bikers, cyberpunks and Japanese street-style teens, said The LA Times Rene Lynch.
Mercado writes the blog Manufactured 1987 and edits a digital magazine called We the Urban.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit