SHSU baseball stadium receives $1 million and a new name
HUNTSVILLE (SID) - Houston entrepreneur and philanthropist Don Sanders has donated $1 million to establish an endowment fund to enhance the baseball program at Sam Houston State University, Sanders's alma mater.
The university recently received word that the Texas State University System Board of Regents had approved the naming of SHSU's one-year-old baseball stadium in honor of Sanders.
"The new baseball facility is an outstanding recruiting tool," new SHSU head baseball coach Mark Johnson said. "The new stadium was one of the first things that attracted me to the Sam Houston State job.
"When we were looking into naming the baseball field, we had several criteria in mind," Johnson said.
"We wanted the person to be an alumnus of Sam Houston State, we wanted someone who was interested and involved in baseball, and we wanted someone with integrity, credibility and strong character to reflect what we want to do here for our baseball program," he said. "Mr. Sanders was a perfect fit."
Sanders is founder and chairman of the investment firm Sanders Morris Harris. He is a former owner of the Houston Sports Association and the Houston Astros Baseball Club and currently, along with Nolan Ryan, is co-owner of Ryan-Sanders Baseball. Ryan-Sanders Baseball owns the Astros' Class AAA Round Rock Express and Class AA Corpus Christi Hooks.
His current board affiliations include the Nolan Ryan Foundation, the DePelchin Children's Center, and the Houston Museum of Fine Arts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?