Houston Aeros to move to Iowa
The Houston Aeros will no longer call Houston home once the American Hockey League playoffs end. The minor league affiliates of the NHL Minnesota Wild will now call Des Moines, Iowa home beginning next season. The move has caused some anger for those hockey fans in Houston who have supported the team throughout the years.
“Our organization has enjoyed tremendous support from the loyal, passionate hockey fans in Houston since 2001,” Aeros general manager Jim Mill said. “There is a great hockey history in Houston, beginning with the Apollos in 1965, and continuing with the Aeros in the WHA, IHL, and AHL. We are honored to have been part of this hockey tradition.”
The decision to move came down to a contract disagreement between the Aeros and the Toyota Center, where the Aeros currently play. It was reported that the Toyota Center wished to hold more concerts that would cut into the nights the Aeros would host home games, but neither side confirmed the statement.
“We were not able to find agreement on terms of a new arena lease which would allow us to continue to successfully operate our franchise. We thank the Toyota Center for the partnership we’ve had since moving there in 2003,” Minnesota Wild Chief Operating Officer Matt Majka said.
The Minnesota Wild has not issued any other public statement at this time regarding the move. So for hockey fans that have supported their hometown team, they will have one last chance to do so as the Aeros enter the AHL playoffs. They will begin a best of five series against the Grand Rapids Griffins on April 26th.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
- Study shows college sexual assaults not investigated
- Beer delivery services happening in Texas
- Oklahoma quakes likely related to fracking
- Otto named to select committee on Texas influx of illegal immigrants
- Called it: Germany takes the Cup
- Rockets airball on Bosh, Parsons
- Dr. Oz doesn't practice medicine, but grifting
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy
- AARP Offers Tools for Caregivers