Four Bearkat softball players selected to All Tournament team
Sam Houston State softball traveled participate in the University of Southern Mississippi softball classic this past weekend and finished with a record of 2-4.
The Bearkats would come out of the tournament with a 3-2 record pushing their 2013 season record to 5-6.
Pitcher Shelby Lancaster, infielder Alyssa Coggins, infielder Cecilia Castillo and outfielder Tori Benavidez were selected to join the all-tournament team for their great performances for the weekend.
The Bearkats would battle for 11 innings to win over Jacksonville State University 5-3.Cecilla Castillo hit a two-run RBI single to give the Bearkats the lead in the 11th inning.
In the circle against JSU was Shelby Lancaster; she spread only 13 hits throughout the game after facing an overwhelming 43 batters.
SHSU dropped their first game to USM 10-1. Amy Pelton hit an RBI to score Castillo to avoid the shut out. The Bearkats would bounce back later that day to win against JSU.
The Bearkats split with a loss to JSU 5-6. With the efforts of Castillo hitting 2-3 and Tori Benavides hitting 3-4 for the game, SHSU would end on a good note by wrapping up the tournament by shutting out JSU 3-0 at the arm of Lancaster.
The Bearkats will take the week off and continue play next weekend at a tournament at Texas State University. For more information, visit Gobearkats.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...