Floyd Mayweather is rolling in the "Money"
Floyd “Money” Mayweather is truly living up to his name.
It was revealed yesterday that Mayweather is set to make $41.5 million for his upcoming pay-per-view fight against Saul Alvarez on Sept. 14. Mayweather will also receive a portion of the pay-per-view sales.
The enormous payday sets the record for the largest guaranteed purse in boxing history. Mayweather had already established the current record when he received $32 million when he fought Miguel Cotto in May 2012 and again when he fought Robert Guerrero in May 2013.
The fact that Mayweather is able to pull this kind of a paycheck against a relatively unknown fighter makes one wonder how much he could have made if the long desired fight against Manny Pacquiao had ever occurred. However, that fight is no longer even in discussion after Pacquiao has lost his last two fights, including a highlight reel knockout at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez.
Alvarez won’t be complaining too much as he is set to receive $12.5 million. This fight presents an enormous opportunity for Alvarez, who is currently 42-0-1. If Alvarez was able to knock off Mayweather, he would catapult straight to the boxing A-list, and he would be in line for a gigantic payoff in his next fight.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit