Bearkat women's basketball team win streak ends at six with 52-48 loss to Lamar
With two 17-point performances by Careen Baylor and Gia Ayers, Lamar ended Sam Houston States six-game winning streak Saturday afternoon with a 52-48 victory in Johnson Coliseum.
The Bearkats (13-10, 9-2 SLC) now hold on to the Southland Conference by half a game with Lamar (16-6, 9-3 SLC) at their heels.
The Cardinals led by nine going into halftime and led by as much as 12 points in the second half.
Sequeena Thomas had yet another double-double (16 points, 12 rebounds) for her fourth consecutive game and 16th in her SHSU career and Britni Martin scored 15.
The Bearkats were held to 33 percent shooting and made only three of 23 three-point attempts.
Lamars shooting percentage was even lower (30.5). Free throws were the difference in this game, as Lamar scored 11 points from the stripe and Sam Houston scored only five.
The Bearkats will spend their Valentines Day in Tulsa, Okla., facing conference-rival Oral Roberts for the second time this season. The last time these two teams met, the Bearkats defeated the Golden Eagles 54-47 in Johnson Coliseum. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...