Puppy Bowl IX steals hearts and ratings due to blackout
Animal Planet has offered a wonderful alternative to the Super bowl for quite some time now. Often times the adorable antics of puppies are preferredover the not so fluffy football players. Once again, Animal Planet delivered the goods this year with Puppy Bowl IX! According to the official stats released by Discovery, a record 12.4 million viewers tuned in to the segment.
The first airing of the Puppy Bowl was at 3:00 p.m. EST, but when the lights went out for 34 minutes in the 3rdquarter ratings soared to 1.1 million viewers. A 54 percent increase from the originalairing of the segment.
The best part of the Puppy Bowl is that there are no losers. The Bowl featured adorable pups, peppy hedgehog cheerleaders and official sideline reporterMeep the bird. All of the animals from the show came from Petfinder.com,rescue groups, and shelters from all over the United States. Since the show, every animal has been adopted. Meep(@MeeptheBird) did great too, gaining close to 19,000 Twitter followers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit