Huntsville to celebrate Sam Houstons Birthday
Sam Houstons 221 birthday is being celebrated on March 2 with events hosted by The Walker County Historical Commission, the Sam Houston Memorial Museum and the Sam Houston Statue and Visitors Center.
The celebration begins at the Gibbs-Powell Home Walker County Museum with coffee and reception from 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. According to a press release an exhibit containing items that relate to Texas will be on display for guests to view.
The traditional march to the grave will begin around 10:15 a.m. Students will meet at Austin Hall and walk to Oakwood Cemetery where a service will be held.
This years speaker will be Dr. Howard Horton who is a native of Goliad, Texas and has portrayed Sam Houston since 1998 in Salado Legends: An Outdoor Musical Drama.
The Sam Houston Statue and Visitors Center will be hosting a Toast to Texas and serving birthday cake at 2 p.m.
The Sam Houston Memorial Museum will also be offering FREE admission on March 2nd. Museum hours on Saturday are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The first 100 visitors to tour the Main Museum Rotunda will receive a HONOR bracelet.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Houstonian News Articles
Recent Houstonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOUSTONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOUSTONIAN NEWS
- Study shows college sexual assaults not investigated
- Beer delivery services happening in Texas
- Oklahoma quakes likely related to fracking
- Otto named to select committee on Texas influx of illegal immigrants
- Called it: Germany takes the Cup
- Rockets airball on Bosh, Parsons
- Dr. Oz doesn't practice medicine, but grifting
RECENT HOUSTONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age