Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

SHSU receives lowest in state funding in 2012

Staff Reporter

Published: Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 01:10

Sam Houston State University will receive the lowest amount of funding from the state this year compared to other public four-year universities.


This reduction in funding has not caused any immediate concern, but the situation is going to be closely monitored by the university and adjustments will be made to cover the cost.


Alvin Hooten, the vice-president for finance and operations, has confirmed that SHSU will account for the loss with an $8 increase in tuition in Spring 2013, and with another $9 increase in Fall 2015.


Hooten said this increase was just on behalf of the school and students can expect to pay more to the student referendum requirements. Only 76 percent of every dollar students pay goes to the school, and the other 24 percent are “mandatory set-asides that are required by statutes,” Hooten said.


He also said SHSU employees are efficient enough to make a difference in trying to cover the cost.


“We’re [the employees] very dedicated to the institution,” Hooten said. “We all have great pride in this campus, everyone works hard ... and everyone is always looking for opportunities to operate more efficiently and to garner a better bang for the buck.”


Dana Gibson, president of SHSU, said the employees are coping with the lack of public funds and are still producing quality students.


“Although SHSU receives less funding from the state than all other Texas four-year public institutions, we continue to operate very efficiently,” Gibson said. “Our employee-to-student ration is below the state average, yet we are maintaining excellence in academics and graduating students who are qualified for jobs in the Texas workforce. We are meeting our goals and creating a great educational experience for a large number of individuals.”


Gibson then said the reason SHSU received the least funding is because of a formula used by the state to calculate the amount given to each university.

Hooten detailed that formula, saying that different weights are placed on academic programs, and the most popular programs at SHSU, including criminal justice and education, are not weighted highly. The result ends up with low funding for SHSU.


According to the Texas Higher Education Coordination Board, in 2011 SHSU received $193 dollars per student totaling more than $2.7 million. This placed SHSU second to last on the list.


The exact 2012 numbers on public funding are not yet available.

 

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!





log out