Preparing your car for spring break, road trip
Published: Thursday, March 7, 2013
Updated: Friday, March 8, 2013 13:03
With Spring Break quickly approaching students are getting their plans together. A popular thing to do for spring break is to go on a road trip. According to Byron Chambers, store manager of the Jiffy Lube in Huntsville, these are the most important things students should do to get their car ready for a road trip.
- Check Tires: air pressure, balancing and tire rotation
- Check fuel levels: oil, break fluids, power steering and engine coolant
- Make sure your wiper blades are functional
- Check all of the lights on your car.
“You don’t want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with any of these things not functioning,” Chambers said.
There are also some things road-trippers should have with them in their car. Castrol.com suggests these items to be at hand in case of emergency.
Fresh bottles of coolant, engine oil, and water (to mix with the coolant)
- Jumper cables
- A flashlight
- Radiator hose clamp
- A screwdriver, pliers, and a roll of electrical tape
- A jack and a lug wrench
- Flares or reflective sticks
- A towel to clean up with
Prevent a minor problem from ending your road trip early by ensuring that your car is running well and your emergency kit is prepared.